Monday, September 29, 2008

Memories of Ms. White

Tonight I found out that I actually have the ability to help someone with homework! A few weeks ago my Gamma advisor mentioned that she had a job opportunity available. As I sit and tell myself week in and week out that I am going to get a new job, my ears perked up a bit and I sat to listen. A girl in her ward is trying to graduate this coming Spring, and she needs some help with packets to make up for some classes that didn't go so well a few years ago. I was told I'd get paid for doing two, two hour sessions a week. I was immediately interested. I told Debra I would like to do it, and she told me she'd give my number to the girl's mother. A few days ago I got a call and was reminded I had said I'd tutor the girl. The blue in me really shines through at those moments when I realize, once again, that I've told someone I can do something that I actually might not have time for. Then, the guilt prone-ness of my BLUE kicks in and again, I commit to something I most likely shouldn't. At least this story has a good ending, because low and behold, I found some time to go and help this girl with her homework. So far, only Monday nights after school and work are working for us, I feel bad I can only do one session, but, what can ya do? Anyway, today was my first day going. I wasn't too nervous, because something inside me was honestly drawing me to this girl. Like usual, I don't know what it is, but it's a pretty common occurrence for my, over the top "feelings", to tell me how to run my life. Once the front door opened and I was greeted with silence and a dark room, I became a little nervous(and rightfully so). I sat in the dark for approximately 3 minutes, until an almost invisible girl sat in a chair next to me with her hood pulled up, making her even more un-noticeable in the dark room. She tossed me the notebook which read, "Math" and I grew even more nervous as I remembered all those hours I spent in the Math Lab trying to pass my own math class. Because I couldn't even see the numbers on the paper I asked this stranger of a girl to turn a light on. She turned on one small lamp and went back to starring at the floor beneath my feet. That prayer I said early today about helping me tonight, was answered when I realized how easy this math was!! Thank goodness this whole thing didn't end up being an embarrassment if I didn't even know how to help! We spent 2 hours doing simple math equations. Now I know how my past teachers felt when it took me forever to figure out a question. Part of me wanted to tell her the answers, and I found myself literally biting my tongue and trying to remind myself that I'm here to help her LEARN it, not just get it done. We finished a good few pages and decided next Monday, same time, I will return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think maybe guilt could be a form of revelation? i say always go with what your heart is telling you.

emily lets hang out.

Fortune's said...

just don't do it at all, then you don't have to worry about it.